Saturday, July 26, 2008

concert "review": Snoop and 311

I first saw Snoop Dogg four years ago during the Projekt Revolution tour. Someday I'll have to recap that concert. Partly because I still remember just about every detail like it was yesterday, but also because it was both the best concert I've ever seen ... and one of the saddest weeks of my life. Can't say I've ever had an experience quite like it, going from the elation of seeing three amazing bands / acts perform ... to disappearing and breaking down crying in the bathroom for 20 minutes in regards to everything going on in life at that point. Crazy stuff.

I first saw 311 many years ago, almost 11 to be exact, in December of 97 in Dallas. The only sad thing in my life at that time, was nearly blowing my scholarship because I couldn't stop playing 007. And if you're my age, or anywhere close to it, you're nodding your head in agreement over the awesomeness that was the original 007.

But the two of them, together? Its a no brainer. Pack up the Blazer, send the kids to grandma's, we're going streakin'! I mean, we're going to a concert!

Here we go:

* the night before the show, I came up with the inspired idea to make jello shots. So I bought the vodka, bought the jello ... only, I quickly realized two things. (1) they didn't have the individual cups at the ghetto Apple Market I shop at, and (2) the only time in my life I'd ever tried to make jello, I failed. Seriously. ("arthur" theme voice) I know its crazy, but its true.

The answer: inspired from our 4th of July bash at the pool. Instead of shots, make trays. So, I made up 3 jello trays, one blue, one green, one orange. Smart thinking if you ask me. And when I'm thinkin', I'm usually drinkin'. Which led to inspired idea numero dos ...

* brownies! To be fair, it was "Swingtown" that really inspired this idea, with Trina lacing Janet's brownies in that week's episode. Because the only time I'd ever had the happy brownies, I was knocked out cold for two days, Dusty made them way too strong. This time, I "supervised" the making of them. Much better.

(note: in his defense, Dusty making brownies is like me making jello trays. I have a much, much higher tolerance than most people do. If I ever recap Float Trip 08, you'll see just how amazing my tolerance level apparently is. OK, back to the point, which is, you can be assured, it takes a lot of alcohol to affect me. Dusty's the same way with the happy stuff. But still, those brownies from January were ridiculously potent. OK, back to the review ...)

* had Dusty drive us to work on concert day, under the "if I didn't drive, I have to leave when he does" theory that sometimes works. (Once my boss figured out I have two co-workers who pass where I live on the way home, this theory kind of got blown up. But it still works on occasion). Worked with great success on this day, as we left at 11:30, off to pick up "former girlfriend" and get this thing started.

* picked up "Dusty's former girlfriend", dropped her off at her folks to get a car, and she went off to buy the so-called "essentials" (aka bread, meat, chips). Oh, and the real essentials, beer and booze.

* Come about 3pm, we were ready. 30 Coors Lights, 30 Bud Selects, 3 trays of jello goodness, a tray of brownies, and the alleged "essentials" to eat. Throw in the washer boxes, a football and some chairs, and away we went.

* picked up Chris about 3:30, which only added to the beer supply ... and 15 minutes later, we arrive at Sandstone to start tailgating. The weather conditions were nearly a perfect Steve day. It was hot as hell, it was humid as hell, the sun was shining ... but the alleged "spotty showers" we'd been warned about were headed right for us.

* after about a half hour of sitting around doing what some of us do best (sit in the sun and drink), said "spotty shower" arrived. A solid 10, 15 minute downpour. Few things feel better in really hot, sticky weather than a relatively quick rain shower. Most folks headed for the car. Me and Dusty just hung out on the back of the Blazer enjoying a jello "tray".

* one cool idea of many that they have at Sandstone this year (and thank God its back to being "Sandstone", instead of the ridiculousness that was Verizon Wireless Ampitheater), is that if you carpool, you park for free. Anytime "park for free" is involved, I can find a way to squeeze 4 people into the Blazer. Too bad the Chiefs don't pick up on this whole "go green" idea ...

* at 5, they finally open the gates. We initially park right next to the port-a-potties, because that's what smart people do. Sadly, the parking nazis at Sandstone are every bit the arrogant a-holes that they are at Arrowhead, so we had to move to the front. But that's ok. It just made for a 3 minute walk to pee, instead of 3 seconds.

* its not officially a summer tailgate until I'm tossing washers, shirt nowhere to be found, with a Coors Light in hand. Mission accomplished at 5:15pm.

* Brent and his girl finally arrived around 5:30. We convinced said parking nazis to let us reserve a spot for him. I truly don't get the logic. Saving spots when others are trying to pull into the spot, is ok. Parking 3 rows back, out of the way of everyone, to be closer to the john is not ok.

* After a couple solid hours of tailgating, washer tossing, drinking, jello tray eating, and brownie goodness, Brent and his girl (I know her name is Megan but I'm not sure how to spell it, that, and the other Megan there that night is no longer in the picture so I'm trying not to use the word Megan, whoops there I go again, I'm trying not to use "that name"), anyways, after a couple hours of fun, Brent and his girl head in to catch the opening act, Fiction Plane. Me? If I wanted to see anything affiliated with Sting, I'd have paid $200 to see the real deal in Omaha this spring.

* After letting randoms take over the washer game, and after finishing off the last of the jello trays, its finally time to head in. We toss on some t-shirts, pack up the car, and away we go.

* Yet another thing I like about the "new" Sandstone: they did away with the lower level of seats. Its now a gigantic GA / mosh pit. I'm sure it looks awesome from the stage. It looked awesome from our seats.

* Snoop takes the stage about 8:30, 8:40. Its about what you'd expect. The smoke coming from the audience just about matched the smoke coming from the stage.

* I freely admit, I am not a fan of 99% of rap music. As I often point out, "you can't spell crap without rap". But really, is there any more anticipated moment at any concert, anywhere, than when you hear the sound of the dude taking a whiz, then the "wha?", followed by the low beats signaling the start of "Gin and Juice"?

* Free beer numero uno arrives! From Dusty's ex. See, she was good for something. A lot of somethings actually. I'll miss her. Good luck in your life, "former girlfriend". You deserve it. (Yes, I had a major crush on her. Thankfully it never rose to Chandler and Joey type levels, because I'm not sure I could have lasted in a box ...)

* About 9:50, 311 takes the stage. Brent and his girl have moved down into seats by us, again, smart thinkin' on someone's part. Probably not mine. Actually I know it wasn't mine, it was Brent's. But still, smart thinkin'. And when smart thinkin' is involved, someone's probably drinkin'. But, the move leads to free beer numero dos! Courtesy of Brent or his girl. Either way, I'm not turning down a free, frosty cold Budweiser.

* We arrived with two Swisher packs of, uuh, cigars, which I believe is a total of 10. We left with 2. Sign number 1054 that you've had a good time ...

* We lost Chris for a while, he went off wandering somewhere. After about 20 minutes, Dusty and I were like "how the hell are we gonna find him?" Thankfully he stumbled back before we left. But for a moment there, it was touch and go.

* the only moment of the concert that "sucked" for me: "Love Song". Seeing happy, booze and "happy" filled couples dancing, swaying, doing other happy things together to an amazing song, it just reinforced the fact that I so need a girlfriend ... or at least a friend with benefits ...

* We didn't stick around for the very end. The "encore" started about 11:15. Come 11:45, it was still going. Call me crazy, but when I have to work the next morning, I'm almost a 30 pack in, plus brownies, plus jello trays, plus whatever the hell I inhaled at the show ... its time to call it a night. I know, I know: I'm getting old. Man, the Byrds were so wrong. (byrds voice) I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now! Yeah, not happening in my case ...

* In what has to be a first, on any level, since I reached the legal age for enjoying alcohol ... the keys were handed back to me. Because I was in the best shape to drive. (brian griffin voice) what the hell? (gregg voice) oh my god. (brent voice) oh my god. (my folks voice) oh my god.

* Dusty and "former girlfriend" passed out in the back seat. I dropped Chris off to get his car, then it was off for home. Which we got to about 12:15.

All in all, a solid show. Snoop probably went too short, and 311 probably went too long, but you know what, I'll take it. Anytime you can blow off an afternoon of work to tailgate, enjoy two quality music acts, and take it in with good friends, its a winner of a day. Can't wait to do it again in 3 weeks at Linkin Park!

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...