Monday, September 22, 2008

in praise of an awesome new song ...

I first heard this song about 3 weeks ago, driving to the lake for the Labor Day weekend getaway. And I remember thinking "huh, this is pretty good".

I didn't really give it another thought, until today. When I heard it twice on the drive in (once on Spectrum 18, once on Pulse 9), and then heard it again running errands at lunch on Coffee House 30.

And I'm absolutely hooked.

This song is incredible.

Here's my attempt to lobby the "Rivermaster" to add this to the soundtrack for Float Trip '09.

"Come on Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson.

The melody is kind of laid back, a Ben Harper / Dave Matthews kind of vibe that I totally dig. But the lyrics ... man they draw you in. Maybe its because I've been kind of down lately, maybe its because I'm finally ready at the age of 31 to experience the emotions expressed in the song ... but man, this just totally spoke to me.

Hope you'll give it a listen. Its just an incredible 3:47 to hear.

(the youtube! link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flAvh1o-s5E)

The lyrics (courtesy of: http://mattnathanson.com/mattlyrics.htm#comeongethigher and yes, I totally dig that every damned lyric is in lower case ...)

i miss the sound of your voice
and i miss the rush of your skin
and i miss the still of the silence
as you breathe out, and i breathe in.

if i could walk on water, if i could tell you what's next
i'd make you believe, i'd make you forget

so, come on get higher
loosen my lips
faith and desire
in the swing of your hips.
just pull me down hard
and drown me in love

i miss the sound of your voice
the loudest thing in my head
and i ache to remember
all the violent, sweet, perfect words that you said.

if i could walk on water, if i could tell you what's next
i'd make you believe, i'd make you forget

so, come on get higher
loosen my lips
faith and desire
in the swing of your hips.
just pull me down hard
and drown me in love

i miss the pull of your heart
i taste the sparks on your tongue
and i see angels and devils and god when you come on
hold on. hold on. love.
sing sha la la love. sing sha la la love.

it's all wrong. it's all wrong. it's all right
cause everything works in your arms

Seriously, give it a listen. I've paid my $.99 on ITunes to enjoy it. I hope you will as well. Incredible song. Just ... incredible.

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...