Monday, December 29, 2008

a top 10

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. Between the holiday, various parties, and my 5 weeks and counting cold that won't go away, I've been slacking.

But as the year winds down, its always a good time for reflection. Which I figure to do a lot of over the next couple days. But until then, my 10 favorite event filled (non-nephew being born) days of 2008:

Honorable mention: Friday July 18th to Sunday July 20th. Float Trip 08! Still the most unreal scene of the year: when one of the guys there hauled out the breathalyzer on Saturday night. He said the thing would under-report us (he was right). There were maybe 5 of us still upright. I remember Scottie blew a .14, which with the under-report, means he was likely pushing .20. Heath was also in the .14, .15 range. Burke was literally passed out, we had to wake him up to blow. He blew a .18. I seemed perfectly fine to everyone, including myself ... and I blew a .18. The lesson? Either I have amongst the greatest tolerances for alcohol known to man ... or I need a rehab stint. Possibly both. (every person that knows steve voice) possibly?!?!

10. (tie) Saturday August 2nd and Sunday August 3rd. Not surprisingly, these were the two hottest days of the summer, with the temperature well above 100 both days. And the Royals at home both days against the White Sox. The only person dumb enough to head out there with me each day was Dusty ... but really, if you can't get fired up about spending 7-8 hours outside when its 106 degrees and there isn't a cloud in the sky ... well, then you should never live in Texas. I have said it before, and I will say it again: any day in which you wake up, and its already hot enough at 7, 7:30 in the morning, that putting on a t-shirt seems insane, THAT is the perfect Steve Day! And we had two of them! Back to back! Great freaking weekend.

9. Tuesday, July 15th. 311! Snoop Dogg! The debut of the vodka jello trays, (hopefully not) the last great get-together of the "husband, wife and mistress" era. Brent with a freaking towel wrapped around his head while stalking Tech Nine. Good (partially) alcohol-fueled times had by all, that's for sure.

8. Wednesday September 3rd. We managed to get into the city wide trivia final via our finish at Hooters on this night. But what stood out to me was after I got home. Fired up the TiVo. And sat to watch the most amazing 40, 45 minute political speech of my life by Governor Palin. I am not a Republican, although I did vote for McCain. I will never be accused of being a conservative. But even I, me, Steve, the "loony liberal", as Heath likes to call me ... even I was standing and applauding. I have never heard a speech as perfectly delivered as hers was that night. I fear we haven't heard the last from the Governor.

7. Friday November 14th. The Matt Nathanson concert! More fun alcohol fueled times had by all! (steve closing his eyes, wishing he hadn't inhaled, and singing along voice) "Cause I could fall alone if all, if I could fall away / Cause you've been so wrong ... for so long ... now ... / And your new anthems that you breathe? I've got you on my answering machine!" Great night.

6. Saturday November 29th. Man, November was fun. The Bucks Party, Matt Nathanson ... and "the drive that will define his career". Reesing! Meier! Touchdown Hawks! Touchdown Hawks! Holy freaking shite, touchdown Hawks! woffort from 52 for the tie at the gun ... no! no good! Hawks win! Hawks win! Hawks win! I love beating mizzou ...

5. Saturday April 5th. A game that was at least 5 years in the making. Hawks. Tar Heels. Final Four. A beatdown that just never gets old to watch. Which of course, led to ...

4. Monday April 7th. Whoa, a national championship for my favorite collegiate team ... and it ranks fourth?!?! What the hell?!?! Yes, there were three days I loved more than this one. Although this one ... hell, any day, any single play, that causes me to hit the floor, curl up in the fetal position, and bawl my eyes out for four straight minutes, all while pounding the floor and screaming "yes! yes! hell f*cking yes! woo! woo!" or some variation of that ... its a good thing. Chalmers ... SWISH!!!

3. Monday, March 31st. The day the owe board finally stopped spinning faster than the national debt clock. Although go figure, "former roommate" has not done right financially by either me or Dusty. Shocking, I know, that "former roommate" would be utterly irresponsible, wouldn't do the right thing, and would screw someone over because he's utterly, uuh, irresponsible, incapable of doing the right thing, and doesn't think twice of screwing someone over. I believe it was Justin Timberlake who noted that "what goes around, goes around, goes around, always comes back around". And it will pal. You can bet your mother f*cking free-loading ass it will.

2. Thursday January 3rd. Memorable for three reasons. First, I turned 31 (hooray me!). Another year on this planet recorded in the books. Secondly, KU scored arguably the biggest win in football program history, by defeating Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl 24-17 to cap a 12-1 season. A win that legitimized the season, legitimized our appearance in the BCS. A win that was just neat.

Thirdly, and finally, I was in Des Moines that night watching the game, on my way to Milwaukee for my cousin's wedding. Thursday January 3rd just happened to be the night of the Iowa caucuses. I was in Iowa the night the President elect officially arrived on the scene as a force to be reckoned with. I still remember sitting up in the hotel room and watching the news until 1:30, 2 in the morning. America changed permanently for the better that night. And I'm damned glad I was at ground zero to witness it.

But the day that stands out above all others ...

1. Sunday, September 28th. Chiefs 33, donkeys 19. What else needs to be said. To beat that team, and to know three months later that it directly cost them a playoff berth? I freaking hate the denver broncos, I so freaking hate that team ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...